This unit guides students to knowledge of the Judicial Branch’s powers, duties, and limitations. This unit also challenges students to create an argument and defend it orally. This unit prepares student to be prepared and informed citizens of the 21st century.
UNIT STANDARDS, UNIT GOALS, UNIT OBJECTIVES, UNIT ASSESSMENTS
CE.C&G.2 Analyze government systems within the United States in terms of their structure, function and relationships.
CE.C&G.3 Analyze the legal system within the United States in terms of the development, execution and protection of citizenship rights at all levels of government.
HS.TT.1 Use technology and other resources for assigned tasks.
1. Learners will understand the duties and limitations of the judicial branch.
2. Learners will gain knowledge of the major Supreme Court cases.
1. Students will be able to create and defend an argument after researching a case.
2. Students will be able to define 13 of 15 of the vocabulary words for this unit.
3. Students will answer 6 of 7 questions correctly after Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday’s lessons.
1. Students will participate in mock trial to demonstrate their ability to defend an argument
2. Federal Court System Quiz
3. Court Cases quiz
Pre and Post Assessment
Answer key is on a slide in the multimedia/inquiry lesson.
1. SMARTBoard Lesson (see Multimedia/Inquiry lesson)
2. Power Point (see Direct Instruction lesson)
3. Students using computers and the internet to research cases. (see Direct Instruction lesson)